VMware Cloud Community
Akopylov
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

ESXTOP LUN world

Hello there.

Can someone explain me what is the LUN world in ESXTOP u-view? This is definitely not the VMs:

pastedImage_0.png

There are 3 powered on VMs on 3-d LUN and 2 powered on VMs on 5-th LUN, but they have 61 and 39 of worlds respectively. Also the number of worlds is changing dynamically during VM boot process. I guess it is some sort of process, but want to get more clear explanation.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bdv4u
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Akopylov,

Thanks for your query,

As you know know, ESXTOP "U" represents the disk/device view in reference to the LUNs attached to the ESXi host.

Further your query for the Field "NWD" represents the "Number of Worlds" which in-turn means the Number of worlds that are running on the storage device.

Ideally, this value is dynamic, and keeps changing in timely manner.

To get a detailed understanding on the respective Worlds running, you may highlight the respective device, Expand with the "e" command to display statistics for individual worlds.

In General, a typical virtual machine is composed of several processes or userworlds that run in the VMkernel. Now, combining all the processes collectively make up a group. The following are the processes which are comprises of the VM instance, which inturn is associated to a unique WorldID.

1. VMX (VM executable)Process

2. VMM (VM monitor) Process

3. MKS (Mouse Keyboard Screen)Process

best way to determine the Worlds for each VM instance,

# ps | grep -i "VM name"

Also, you may get the Parent WorldID with the following command,

# esxcli vm process list | less

grep for the VM name, and get the World ID

Obviosuly, there is a huge load of concurrent Worlds initiated at different intervals during the Power cycle of the VM.

@

The easier way to get to know the active Worlds used (important), Here is the required actions,

1. Determine the VMs which are running on the following Device, and identify the World IDs for the VMs.

You may typically get the GID for the VM in the "v" Virtual Machine view. Expand the respective VM instance with the GID reference on the CPU view "c", and you may see the active World IDs for the VM.

2. Cross verify the World IDs with the expanded view of the Device in Question ( the topmost LUN in question "naa.600508b1001c6984627f4affe92a8f2b") and see the active worlds, and can associate with the earlier ones.

Now, the NWD referenced in Device view, may have several operations related to the respective VM worlds along with the Hypervisor Processes such as ( StorageRM, VAAI related to the SCSI read/Write I/Os to the LUN. Trust me, if the count is more than 20, you may run out of View, and may not be helpful.

NWLD in CPU view is more helpful, and we associate the World IDs and associate to VM/Host Processes as the valid counters to troubleshoot.

Hope this helps, Do respond back to me for any further queries.

Regards,

BDV

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bdv4u
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Akopylov,

Thanks for your query,

As you know know, ESXTOP "U" represents the disk/device view in reference to the LUNs attached to the ESXi host.

Further your query for the Field "NWD" represents the "Number of Worlds" which in-turn means the Number of worlds that are running on the storage device.

Ideally, this value is dynamic, and keeps changing in timely manner.

To get a detailed understanding on the respective Worlds running, you may highlight the respective device, Expand with the "e" command to display statistics for individual worlds.

In General, a typical virtual machine is composed of several processes or userworlds that run in the VMkernel. Now, combining all the processes collectively make up a group. The following are the processes which are comprises of the VM instance, which inturn is associated to a unique WorldID.

1. VMX (VM executable)Process

2. VMM (VM monitor) Process

3. MKS (Mouse Keyboard Screen)Process

best way to determine the Worlds for each VM instance,

# ps | grep -i "VM name"

Also, you may get the Parent WorldID with the following command,

# esxcli vm process list | less

grep for the VM name, and get the World ID

Obviosuly, there is a huge load of concurrent Worlds initiated at different intervals during the Power cycle of the VM.

@

The easier way to get to know the active Worlds used (important), Here is the required actions,

1. Determine the VMs which are running on the following Device, and identify the World IDs for the VMs.

You may typically get the GID for the VM in the "v" Virtual Machine view. Expand the respective VM instance with the GID reference on the CPU view "c", and you may see the active World IDs for the VM.

2. Cross verify the World IDs with the expanded view of the Device in Question ( the topmost LUN in question "naa.600508b1001c6984627f4affe92a8f2b") and see the active worlds, and can associate with the earlier ones.

Now, the NWD referenced in Device view, may have several operations related to the respective VM worlds along with the Hypervisor Processes such as ( StorageRM, VAAI related to the SCSI read/Write I/Os to the LUN. Trust me, if the count is more than 20, you may run out of View, and may not be helpful.

NWLD in CPU view is more helpful, and we associate the World IDs and associate to VM/Host Processes as the valid counters to troubleshoot.

Hope this helps, Do respond back to me for any further queries.

Regards,

BDV

0 Kudos
Akopylov
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Wow, nice explanation.

Thank you a lot for your help.

0 Kudos