VMware Cloud Community
NaeemKhan1
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI hosts randomly disconnects from VCenter

Hi,

I have a bit of an issue which I am really hoping someone has an idea what it be. 

We Have Windows VCenter on 6.0 and 5 ESXI Hosts on 6.0

These have been ticking along with no issues and all of a sudden hosts start to disconnect and then auto reconnects.

Initially it started on one host which was the VSphere HA Master.  I put this in maintenance mode and then gave it a reboot.  The problem went away but then it started on another Host. 

I did the same on this one (Reboot) and then the problem went away but now it started on the different one. 

I thought it might have been something to do with us upgrading our Backup solution (VRanger) to the latest version including the Virtual appliances. 

I contacted Quest and they advised to turn off the Virtual Appliances and Backup using the VRanger Server.  This was to rule the Virtual Appliances. 

Just this morning,  I noticed a host disconnected again for a few of hours and then reconnected backup again. 

The host is still accessible and all the VM's on the disconnected host are still active.  Pings works and also you can RDP into the VM's or SSH in if they linux. 

I can try and reboot the remaining hosts and see if this resolves the issue but I wanted to ask if anyone else has had a similair issue.

I have the hearbeat set to 120 as well.

Any help on this would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A moderator will be along to move your thread to the regular vSphere area since this has nothing to do with the SDK where you created the thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
NaeemKhan1
Contributor
Contributor

apologies, I posted this out of panic. 

Thank you  for the update

0 Kudos
Srijithk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

any changes in regards to IP at host or vcenter?

can you ssh to a host

cd /etc/vmware/vpxa and cat or less vpxa.cfg file and check the contents of <vpxa> do you have the right vc IP in serverip parameter?

if yes do you have the same updated in runtime settings parameter of vcenter at dministration > vCenter Server Settings > Runtime Settings and review the Managed IP Address  if not please do and restart vpxd at vc ssh service-control --restart vmware-vpxd

perform a packet capture from vcenter to host as well

tcpdump host_ip and port 902 run it for few minutes and share its output if the above settings didn't fix

Thanks,

Srijith

0 Kudos