VMware vSphere

View Only
  • 1.  ESXI NIC

Posted Feb 22, 2022 03:10 PM

Hello Experts,

We would like to increase the Virtual Machines on the ESXI hosts after increasing the compute resources on the ESXI hosts including the network. For the network card we are just trying to explore the options

Option 1 - we add the 2* 10 GBps NIC to ESXI hosts 

Option 2- we add 25 GBps NIC to ESXI hosts provided the underlying infra ( physical switches ) support 25 GBps. 

I understand the Option 2 is the recommended way but also trying to find out the problem we could face with option 1 . 

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

• 2.  RE: ESXI NIC

Posted Feb 23, 2022 03:47 PM

Hi  

Which network card is installed today? If you are running on 1Gb you are more than fine with the 10Gb network adapter. If you are already on 10Gb you should go to 25Gb if it is supported by your network infrastructure.

I would recommend not to use LACP for port aggregation.

Regards

Daniel

• 3.  RE: ESXI NIC

Posted Feb 24, 2022 01:38 PM

Hi  

Thank you for the reply.

Actually, we are expecting the load with more than 10 GBps and hence I am just exploring in case we deploy 2 * NIC with 10 GBps, not for redundancy purpose but for load distribution  instead of one 25 GBps will that configuration cause any problem. One problem I could suspect would be with management of ESXI hosts. 

Cheers

• 4.  RE: ESXI NIC

Posted Mar 01, 2022 05:20 PM

Hi  

a secondary 10Gb NIC will not cause any problem with the mangement interface aka vmkernel. You can add the additional physical uplinks to your existing vSwitch, so take care, that the same networks and default vlan are configured as on the existing one.

Maybe you are more comfortable to create a new vSwitch with the two new physiscal uplinks and create new port groups. It is up to you and your purpose.

Regards

Daniel