VMware Cloud Community
bully79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXI Host with DRS errors

Good afternoon,

We have a host in  a cluster that periodically has an alert next to it saying the following

"Unable to apply DRS resource settings on host ********* in ****. The operation is not allowed in the current state.. This can significantly reduce the effectiveness of DRS.

This only happens from time to time and then resolves itself. Is it anything to worry about, and if so what is the best way to resolve it?.

I have seen mentioned to restart the management agents, If i were to do this in the day in production would it cause any issues to the guests running on it.

I would really appreciate your input.

thanks again

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VMs will continue to run.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This could be useful: Unable to apply DRS resource settings on host XXXX in Cluster1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
bully79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excellent, thanks for your prompt reply.

In your opinion if i were to restart the managemnt agents, would this cause an issue to the running guests on that host. Or would there just be no access to management of that host until they restarted?.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VMs will continue to run.

NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Remember that restart of Management Agent or even losing its connectivity does not affect the virtual machine operation and network connectivities

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Select Host > VMs, and list/sort by VMware tools status and check if you find any VMtools in 'Installing' state. If there's any, this will prevent applying DRS settings until installation completed. Though there could be multiple reasons, just mentioning the common one.

0 Kudos
bully79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Would like to say a big thank your help guys. Especially Scott!.

Nice to know that there is people willing to help!

0 Kudos