alankoh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXI Host Backup

Hi all

Just wondering what happen / need to be done when there is a complete physical host failure in a vsphere HA setup

1) Can we just install the ESXI on a new host / setup host name / ESXI management network and join it back to the vsphere HA cluster ?

If i am using a distributed vswitch - will the vswitch/network configuration be automatically "push" to the new node ?

2) What are the things that i will need to re-configure on the ESXI host ? Are there any configurations that will be store in vCenter - such that i do not have to re-configure those configurations to the host again ?

3) Is it useful to do ESXI host configuration backup ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kinnison
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I can talk about my personal experience,

When correctly configured HA in case of host failure all the powered on virtual machine on the affected host will be restarted on the ramaining host part the cluster.
Whenever I want to update an host (or any other VMware product) I will always take a backup, before and after.
After I rebuild my host, usaully I restore a previous valid backup, the I add that host to a datacenter and then I will move it to a cluster, vDS and so on.

Some time I will reconfigure my host from scratch, with all properly documented, in my case (and IMHO) is not "such a big effort".
Oh, I don't use some feature like vSAN or NSX because I'm of the so called "old school".

Best regards,
Ferdinando

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you use Host Profiles to manage host configuration?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
alankoh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi scott

if i am using host profile - is it still required to have host config backup ?

what are the stuffs that is inside host config backup ?

thank you

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Browse through your host profile and see what settings it includes, then you should understand what parameters you would ever need to manually configure should a host need reinstalling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Kinnison
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

In my humble opinion The use or not of the "host profile" functionality is mostly a choice resulting from the complexity and peculiarities of your IT infrastructure.
I mean, in my experience, what is comfortable is not always as practical.

The documentation is interesting:
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.hostprofiles.doc/GUID-78BB234A-D735...

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos