VMware Cloud Community
alankoh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXI Host Backup

Hi all

Just wondering what happen / need to be done when there is a complete physical host failure in a vsphere HA setup

1) Can we just install the ESXI on a new host / setup host name / ESXI management network and join it back to the vsphere HA cluster ?

If i am using a distributed vswitch - will the vswitch/network configuration be automatically "push" to the new node ?

2) What are the things that i will need to re-configure on the ESXI host ? Are there any configurations that will be store in vCenter - such that i do not have to re-configure those configurations to the host again ?

3) Is it useful to do ESXI host configuration backup ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Comment removed...

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you use Host Profiles to manage host configuration?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
alankoh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi scott

if i am using host profile - is it still required to have host config backup ?

what are the stuffs that is inside host config backup ?

thank you

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Browse through your host profile and see what settings it includes, then you should understand what parameters you would ever need to manually configure should a host need reinstalling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Comment removed...

0 Kudos
jpaucek
Contributor
Contributor

The tool restarts all affected VMs on other servers in the cluster if an entire host fails. 

geometry dash

0 Kudos