VMware Cloud Community
pantelism
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 7 and RTX 3090Ti Passthrough Issue

I have a Lenovo P620 host running ESXi 7U3. The A4000 GPU is passing through nicely and the Ubuntu VM is able to use it. A brand new RTX 3090Ti does not display in the ESXi management web interface the video card properly (like the A4000) and it shows instead an “NVIDIA VGA compatible controller”. As a result no VM seems to recognize the card and we are completely stuck.

The weird thing is that in HP Z840 and 820 ESXI hosts (running the same ESXI 7U3 version) where we have installed older GTX 1080Ti cards the passthrough is working.  

I wonder if anyone else has seen this issue also with the 3090 Ti or 3090. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is your host running Enterprise Plus or higher? I just found out yesterday that vGPU requires ESXi Enterprise Plus or above.

However, I'm *not* sure that "passthrough" is the same as "vGPU", so I'm going to be following this thread!

0 Kudos
pantelism
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, we are not after vGPU - just the ability to support 3090Ti with pass-through so that a single VM at a time (an Ubuntu 20.04) can use it. 

0 Kudos
phlytraps
Contributor
Contributor

I can't help with your original question, I'm afraid, but I've just ordered a Lenovo P620 and a RTX 3090Ti video card, and would appreciate any advice you might have on how to get power to the GPU inside the computer. It seems to come with a cable that requires 3 8-pin power connectors. How do you connect this to the power supply in the P620? 

Thanks for any advice!

0 Kudos