VMware Cloud Community
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESXI 6.7 0 Which vSphere client?

I am wanting to test vSphere Web Client, but can't find it. Is this part of VCenter Server and only on purchase ?

My mate is running vSphere client at work, but as far as i know he hasans't got vCentre not Appliance.

Anyway, i tried vSphere Client 6.0 U3, but i got an error while logging in.

Tags (1)
12 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

For today the Client is always the Browser.

ESXi:

HostClient = https://esxip/ui

vCenter (Windows or Appliance based):

WebClient(Flash) = https://vcsaip/

HTML5(NonFlash)* = https://vcsaip/ui

VAMI = https://vcsaip:5480

*Not sure but i think with 6.7 the named it vSphere Client.

You can download vCenter as 60 Day trial ... but you must Add your Host to it and i think that if your Host has no Evaluation days left you cant add it. If the Host already has the free vSphere Hypervisor lic assigned you cant add it anymore.

If your one and only Host have enough resources you can create 2 VMs as virtual ESXi Hosts and with the 60day Eval you can add these to the vCenter and play around with vMotion, HA , DRS and all the other cool stuff.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In 6.7 there is two web clients.

One is HTML5 - ends with /ui

and java based webclient - ends with /vsphere-client

Java client is much better look, but little slower. In Java you have much better and clear overview and configuration possibilities. Example in host tab, in network configuration only Java shows topology. HTML5 sohows topology only in network tab. I use always Java. HTML5 I use only for one operation - to show resources allocation in table. Java dont show this table.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

There was never a Java Based Client.... you mean the Flash(Flex) based one. Nevermind.... the HTML5 based one is now feature complete in 6.7u1 but yes... the menu is different and you have to adopt the new way how it works.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Why? I like java based web interface more. Why I cant use it? And yes, there is java, in vCenter server side.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It's not based on Java, it's written in Adobe Flex. It's just run in a JVM through Tomcat. And you can like it all you want, but it's going away after 6.7 and only the HTML5 client will exist in later versions.

0 Kudos
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you sure after 6.7 v. this Java version ended and stay only HTML5? If so, then I know - I just dont make updates. I have no any reason to update 6.7.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

As I said, it's not a Java version. And, yes, I'm sure.

0 Kudos
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In vCenter server (windows version) from task manager I readed JAVA. So, you say its not Java, but task manager say Java. You must contact together and fix it. Smiley Happy  I dont care what it is, I just like this "/vsphere-client" web interface version. Because HTML5 is total crap. And I really dont need any upgrade. vSphere is enough good already.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

*Seufz*

The OP ask for Client versions and for the Client stuff VMware has never used Java, or at least not in the last 10 years. The (Web)Client use Flash to execute the Application which is written in the Flex Framework. For the future VMware have selectet HMTL5 as there primary Client technology.

That the Server part uses Java wasnt a question and i highly doubt that we see changes there in the next years.

Regards,

Joerg

IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This is lie.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Like most complex applications, the Web Client does not use a single technology stack. The backend is indeed Java, and the UI presentation rendered in the browser is Flex.

The problem is that, as of now, this combination is a dead end. Adobe have publicly announced that Flash is being discontinued and all major browsers (Chrome, Firefox, etc.) will drop support for Flash content by the end of 2020, or possibly even earlier. Flex as an application framework was donated to Apache foundation (http://flex.apache.org/) but I doubt they are willing to fully support it beyond 2020, eg. by providing different backends to compile Flex to something different than Flash.

Obviously, it doesn't make much sense for VMware to continue to invest in a technology that most users won't be able to use in just a couple of years.

You think the new HTML5 based client is a crap, which is fine. It was the same situation a few years ago when the Java/Flex based client was released for the first time - many users really hated it and wanted to stay on the C# based desktop client. Over time, the Java/Flex based client got polished and become much more usable. I guess the same will happen with the HTML5 based client; it just needs more time.

IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So, then the solution should be - no any vmware upgrade, block any web browser upgrade. At least for some time, because right now vsphere 6.7 is enough. Maybe some 2030 y its really old and even I want to replace it and agree to use HTML5. But not now. Also, I really miss this standalone installable vCenter client. It was perfect, very nice design and very fast. I dont like web interfaces at all. I always prefer standalone installable applications. And of course written in C++ or C# (C++ is better) Smiley Happy