VMware Cloud Community
mog54
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 6.5 vmware tools copy/paste

Hello,

i setup an esxi 6.5 (not connected to a vcenter server) based on HPE iso. I've created windows VM (7 x64 and 2016 server x64) and installed on both vmware tools but copy/paste doesn't work (or drag and drop).

I know its work on workstation, so there is maybe a trick on esxi?

And also i want to know how i can verify if vmware tools is up to date? there is a vib somewhere or something?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmloger
Contributor
Contributor

I think you have to create two values and make it False for copy/paste to work from vm

isolation.tools.copy.disable  and isolation.tools.paste.disable to false in configuration parameters if this two vm.

0 Kudos
mog54
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, i've found that on internet but i don't understand i have to create it.

Custom Attributes in the vSphere Web Client here they say that i have to connected to a vcentre to create attribute and i'm not Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
rsk007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To enable copy and paste

in the VM edit settings >> VM Options Tab >> Advanced >> Configuration Parameters. Find the isolation.tools.copy.disable & isolation.tools.paste.disable value and set it to false.

To know the version VMtolls

inside the Windows under the task bar you can notice VM logo click on it to get the vmtool version information

No VIB involvement here.

If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.

Santhosh Ranga
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/santhosh-ranga-43a88b124/
0 Kudos
mog54
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

is there a way to automate this? for every new vm created thoose two values are automaticly set?

thanks

0 Kudos
MBreidenbach0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is this the free HyperVisor license or a paid license ? If its not the free license you can set such parameters with PowerCLI scripting.

0 Kudos
mog54
Contributor
Contributor

It's a paid licence.

Have you already done that?

I never did powercli script i'll make some research

0 Kudos
MBreidenbach0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Google PowerCLI VMX settings

I haven't used that to ENABLE cut+paste but I had some projects where we had to set certain VM configuration settings to make the security auditors happy (like make sure that cut+paste is really DISABLED)

If its enabled then malware inside a VM might be able to read the admin password that was just used to log in while entering the password via cut+paste.

Just googled it myself:

https://virtualhobbit.com/2015/06/24/wednesday-tidbit-powercli-script-to-enable-copy-paste/

0 Kudos