VMware Cloud Community
iltl32
Contributor
Contributor

ESX cluster has high CPU utilization. Should I add another server, or upgrade the CPUs?

We have an ESX cluster of 4 servers (each has 2 Intel e5-2665 chips) running 130 VMs, and our CPU utilization averages around 30%, which is high.  Would it make more sense to add another server to take some of the load off, or upgrade the existing CPUs?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

30% CPU utilization isn't normally considered "high" on either a single host or across a cluster. Why do you consider this "high" in your environment?

0 Kudos
cyberpaul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you plan to add more workload in the future and have the budget for another server and ESXi license, definitely get another server.

Upgrading CPUs is usually cost ineffective, I am not sure what would you get for LGA2011 and DDR3 that would help you significantly. Also, having an extra host comes in handy if one of them goes down.

When buying a new server, stick to Intel and remember to set enhanced vMotion compatibility (EVC) properly before adding new hosts to your cluster 🙂

Regards, Pavel

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

Is it 130 VMs per host..? if yes check for other stats like %RDY.

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
bhards4
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Basically 30% utilization on ESXi host considered to be quite normal. However its depends upon environement to environment for having their baseline.

Coming to the point, either to increase the CPU on the host or adding a ESXi host into the cluster.

My recommendation is to add a new host to your cluster with the same configuration as other 4 ESXi host rather to upgrade the CPU on all the ESXi host.

If by any chance you are upgrading the CPU , main thing needed to be considered to have the same configuration of CPU as other 4 are having. However you can use EVC mode to balance the CPU from different generation but that again degrade the performance.

So, in last better to add the ESXi host into the cluster.

-Sachin

0 Kudos