VMware Cloud Community
Lagardia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX 6.7 running slow on LENOVO PC, E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz Processor

ESX 6.7 is performing like a dog even with only 4 Microsoft Server 2016 virtual servers in a home lab.

VMs are a DC, Citrix XenDesktop, SQL 17, and Virtual Center.

Virtual Centre shows the host as 4 CPUs x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz.

Even though the servers aren't doing anything it's painfully slow .... opening a window, doing anything within the VMs ... CPU on the host and VMs shows very little work load.

Memory usage is 17GB of 32GB, and over 1 TB storage free.

Is this processor just not suitable for ESX and should I be using Workstation pro instead?

Thanks ...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lagardia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Pricks like you who jump in without reading the post, thinking you are all high and mighty ruin these forums.

The only one who thinks you are helpful is Wog Boy Diego who is probably under your desk at the moment checking your cabling.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What type of disc? SSD?

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
Lagardia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No it's just an internal 2 TB ATA disk.

The same one ESX is installed on, along with the VMs and ISOs etc in a single Datastore.

I do have a 250 GB SSD with Windows 10 that I dual boot too but I don't really use it.

The slow performance is more like freezing frequently and frustrating as hell (already smashed one mouse)… could this be a disk performance issue and SSD would fix it?

Because for  $400 I could throw a 1 TB SSD in for the VMs if that would fix it?

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The SSD drive will greatly improve performance.

ATA disk is too slow.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
Lagardia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm getting freezing of up to 30 seconds just clicking on the start button in a VM or trying to open task manager.

I agree HDD are a lot slower than SSD but surely not that much slower??

0 Kudos
Lagardia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you sure you are trying to help or just throwing any suggestion out there and requesting I mark it as Correct so you can get extra brownie points to impress your friends and put on your resume??

0 Kudos
Lagardia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are a clown!

These articles are 6 years old and have no relevance.

Why don't you go away, create your own discussions and then correct them yourself so you get points and go from being a horse to a Queen??

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

First of all, you're running ESXi on an unsupported platform even if the CPU is supported. Second, you're running multiple VMs on *literally* the worst possible storage imaginable (next to a USB disk). Third, you have no performance data to make any sort of educated guess as to where your problem lies, so you really have no idea what is and what is not relevant. Diego is only trying to help you with your unsupported lab situation. If you're not willing to work with us to help yourself...for free I might add...you can kindly go elsewhere.

Lagardia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Go and blow your boyfriend

0 Kudos
Lagardia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Look at my original post dickead about whether I should be running VMware Workstation instead.

Take the damn hypervisor out of your butt before replying.

0 Kudos
Lagardia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Pricks like you who jump in without reading the post, thinking you are all high and mighty ruin these forums.

The only one who thinks you are helpful is Wog Boy Diego who is probably under your desk at the moment checking your cabling.

0 Kudos
frackman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow great community. Thank you for this thread. I got more information with this site.

0 Kudos