VMware Cloud Community
dmitra
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dynamically change Resources

Team,

I wanted to see if any you have a good recommendations. I had a customer tell me today that they would like VMware resources to dynamically change as requests come in. Seems like they have a group that periodically (once or twice a month) run reports that require high number of CPU, Memory and I/Os. Once that 2 day task is complete the VMs are idle, are there any automation tools that would re-size the VMs as metrics start to spike? Thanks again for taking the time to review and share your thoughts!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Probably the best chance of getting this done with the least amount of work is the combination of vSphere + vRealize Operations Manager (vROps) + vRealize Orchestrator (vRO). vROps has some built-in actions which can scale up a VM once utilization heats up. It could then scale those resources down was utilization returns to a lower level.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Gidrakos
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Is the 2-day task impacting your other machines?

The way Vmware works is that machines are only given the amount of resources that they request unless you specify reserved amounts.

So, when the machines are idle, they aren't consuming any additional resources and, when they're busy, they're being given as many resources as they request or the hosts can handle.

I mean, you CAN set this up a couple different ways depending on what exactly you want to accomplish, but this is already done automatically as long as you originally allocate the required resources for the VM.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Probably the best chance of getting this done with the least amount of work is the combination of vSphere + vRealize Operations Manager (vROps) + vRealize Orchestrator (vRO). vROps has some built-in actions which can scale up a VM once utilization heats up. It could then scale those resources down was utilization returns to a lower level.