VMware Cloud Community
bgsxr
Contributor
Contributor

Dynamic Storage Space

Hello everyone,

We are running an ESXI Server version 6.0.0.  I am having an issue when backing up the VMDK file to my Barracuda.  all of the VM's are in one datastore.  So when I backup a VM, I am backing up the full 1.5TB data store every time i backup a VM.  How do I get around this issue?  Can i create multiple data store's that are dynamically allocated for each VM? 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

How are you backing up? Using what? Are you using ESXi free version or a paid license (of any type)?

0 Kudos
bgsxr
Contributor
Contributor

we are using a Barracuda 390 appliance and this is the paid version.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not familiar with backup in that Barracuda product, but from cursory information it appears it should still back up individual VMs and not the entire datastore. That would certainly be the way to go anyhow. For more information or help, you might want to contact them.

0 Kudos
bgsxr
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly what I thought!!!  However, they are saying the vmdk represents the whole data store... since that data store is could have data that pertains to that VM.  That's all fine and dandy, what about if you have 4 VM's in it!  Something isn't quite "jiving" with what i'm being told!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Sounds like you're being told some crap. Unless that one VMDK spans the entire datastore (which it sounds like this isn't the case), that is a false statement. You might ask to escalate your call/case to someone in a different tier who knows what vSphere is all about.

0 Kudos
bgsxr
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, so i have a conference call etc with the vendor that we got the Barracuda from later this morning.  I'll let you know what i find out!!

0 Kudos
bgsxr
Contributor
Contributor

The size that is displaying in the cloud control (1.3TB) is a bug.  They yet have to fix it but, the Barracuda only backs up the actual VMDK file.

0 Kudos