VMware Cloud Community
vwmagic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does Folder equivalent to VM in Datastore?

I am trying to understand what a Folder really is? It seems the folder contains the entire VM when I browse a Datastore, So, in this sense, can I say that the folder is equivalent to the VM? or Can I move the folder to the other Datastore which will do the same Vmotion is supposed to do?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
IT_pilot
Expert
Expert

In a general sense, yes. If all disks (hard disk files) are in this folder. But they can be located on another datastore.

If all the disks in the VM folder can be deleted VM from the inventory, the folder can be moved to a new location, and the VM can be registered. But it's easier to backup a VM with a Veeam Free (or another backup system) and restore it to a new location.

In addition, if the VM is renamed manually, the folder name will be different from the VM name. In this case, you need to execute a storage vmotion and then the folder name will match.

http://it-pilot.ru
0 Kudos
Yuva_1990
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi

vm folder on the datastore contains all the necessary files for the proper functioning of the VM like configuration files and virtual disks.If you want to move that vm to a different datastore you can use storage V motion option

Regards

Yuvaraj

0 Kudos
vwmagic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have a backup software which provides the function of backing up Datastore folders, in addition to Datastore's or VM's, so, my question really is: Are there any reasons I wanted to backup folder instead of VM's or Datastores?

0 Kudos
Yuva_1990
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi

Thanks for the response.Since you already backing up the VM and datastore using a backup software there is no need for backing up VM folders.Just backing up the VM folder will not help us during the restore

Regards

Yuvaraj

0 Kudos
vwmagic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, let me rephrase my question.

Are there any cases in that we don't need to back up VM or Datastore, but backup folders?

0 Kudos
Yuva_1990
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi

Thanks for the response.Nope  we won't backup folders.We will backup only the vm or datastore

Regards

Yuvaraj

0 Kudos
AjayChananaVMwa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi vmmagic,

The vm folder is equally to vm but vm drives might be placed on different data stores. We do not advice to move the folder directly as vcenter will not be able to track changes if done from background.

Advisable to do storage vmotion. If you still want to move it manually unregister the vm from the vsphere move the vm folder and register it back.

Backing up only folder listing is of no use. Vm folder contain vm configuration, disk, descriptor file , snapshot for vmdk etc.. Which are import peice to have vm. Any of these being missed will not be considered as complete backup.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Ajay Chanana
Skyline Support Moderator
MCSE-2003/2008|RHCA|VCP-5/6/VCAP-6
0 Kudos