VMware Cloud Community
WDGNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does EVC need to be enabled to upgrade identical hosts in a vSAN cluster?

I am in the process of upgrading my VMware infrastructure.  One of the things I ran was the pre-check remediation.  In that, it says to enable EVC.  I have four hosts in my cluster and they're exactly the same hardware.  Is it safe to disregard this request to enable EVC?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No impact whatsoever on my production cluster?

Enabling EVC itself has no impact on running VMs.

However, if EVC complaints about missing CPU features on hosts, you will need to take manual action in order to be able to enable it.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, so long as you never have any intention to add newer hosts to this same cluster (potentially).

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

EVC already enabled as you said. You can safely ignore it.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Enabling it now at the highest level your hosts support should future-proof your cluster

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I always enable EVC even with exact same hardware.

Do you remember Intel's microcode issues/patches from early last year, which modified CPU instructions? In (rare) cases like this EVC helps to retain vMotion compatibility during such microcode updates. In any case, there's actually nothing you lose with enabling EVC.

André

0 Kudos
WDGNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So, if I enable EVC at the cluster, there will be no repercussions?  No impact whatsoever on my production cluster?

0 Kudos
WDGNet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

EVC is currently disabled.  The pre-check is requesting that I enable it.

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It’s my bad. You can enable it then fine.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No impact whatsoever on my production cluster?

Enabling EVC itself has no impact on running VMs.

However, if EVC complaints about missing CPU features on hosts, you will need to take manual action in order to be able to enable it.

André

0 Kudos