VMware Cloud Community
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Do instant clone parent affect cpu ready time

Do instant clone parent get scheduled in away that too many can affect performance? I'm trying to size a horizon environment and while some people say I should consider them, I'm trying to figure out how much impact you can expect from them.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TotesHagopes
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

IMO desktop clones typically have low CPU count, and often times the ratio of vCPU to Core can be higher for VDI environments. A similar post was done a while back referring to a similar question:

How to calculate vCPU:pCPU ratio

External blog: How to decide VMware vCPU to physical CPU ratio

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I get that part, I'm aiming for a 5:1 to 6:1 ratio, but part of the instant cloning process is to have a parent vm running on every host. which means extra vcpus scheduled. Is this enough to make a difference though. Look at the image, there 12 in the image, they all show 0 mhz being usind, and very little memory being used.I did the math a bit ago and not counting the parents I was at a 5:1 but including the parent vms I was at an 8:1. I was able to lower that number by shrinking the parent vms, and the cloned vms along with them, but I'm not sure if lowering the cpu count in the parent helped or not.

pastedImage_0.png

Cloning a Virtual Machine with Instant Clone

0 Kudos