VMware Cloud Community
4DAJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disk out of space when configuring Windows Update

Hi All,

I have a virtual machine (Server 2008r2) that will not boot up, due to running out of space when configuring Windows Updates.

I took a snapshot before the reboot and also added drive space in VSphere, but the problem is the Windows Updates were already set to install and it looks like the updates were more than 27GB in size (there was 27GB+ spare), so whenever I try to revert back to the snapshot and turn on the vm it attempts to configure the updates.

I have tried to enter safe mode, but Windows stills attempts to configure the updates.

Is there a way I can stop the configuring of updates from running?

If not, how can I get the vm running again?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
4DAJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is no backup of this VM, but luckily there was another VM on the datastore that was no longer required, so I removed it and now the VM that had run out of space is back online.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Is there a way I can stop the configuring of updates from running?

That would be a question for Microsoft

If not, how can I get the vm running again?

So you have increased the size of the virtual disk? Without being able to get to the Windows admin tools or command-line tools to increase the size of the Windows partition, there's not a lot you can do.

Do you have a backup of the VM which you can restore?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
4DAJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is no backup of this VM, but luckily there was another VM on the datastore that was no longer required, so I removed it and now the VM that had run out of space is back online.

0 Kudos
dvandelaar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You solved it in the time of my writing! good to hear Smiley Happy ..i will leave my answer just as reference, seems like it was a datastore issue, not a os disk issue.

Hi,

There are multiple ways to approach this, so I am just going to tell you the first thing that popped in my head and that is to connect the vmdk to another vm.

For this to work you can't have a snapshot on the OS vmdk though. Actually I assume you extended the vmdk size before you took a snapshot and you are still able to remove existing snapshots.

Remove snapshots first and then do the following:

- make sure vm is powered off

- remove harddisk from original vm (but don't delete it !)

- go to other vm (preferrably with same os)

- edit settings -> add new device -> existing harddisk

- browse to the vmdk of the original vm and select it. Make sure it is added

- go into the windows vm and open disk management, the newly added disk should be visible, f not do a refresh and if necessary set the new disk online

- if the os partition was the last partition on the disk I would expect you can expand the disk now

- if expanding is not possible, browse to the disk and then remove unnecessary files (temp/antivirus/updates)

- when done shut down the vm and repeat the process but now back to the original vm (the shutdown in this step is optional, i would do it to be on the safe side)

I did test this with my own testvm and it works. If it doesn't work for you then you probably need a partition tool and some winpe iso.

Hope the above works for you though !

4DAJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Many thanks for this information, this would have been my next step if I didn't have a vm that I could remove.

0 Kudos