VMware Cloud Community
thuso607
Contributor
Contributor

Disk detach from running VM

Good day,

I have recently converted my VM from KVM qcow2 format to vmdk VMware compatible disk. The VM ran well on the VMware cluster for a few days. However, the disk intermittently detach itself from the VM,causing the VM to be unreachable on the network. when I check the summary of the VM, I see 0 KB on the hard disk. can anyone assist what the issue is.

Regards

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

What do you see in the tasks and events of the VM? Is there any events recorded related to the specific vmdk?

Is the vm part of any backup solution ? How often this issue happen?

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to vSphere Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
thuso607
Contributor
Contributor

@SureshKumarMuth There are no issues showing in the tasks and events of the VM, nothing gets recorded when the disk detaches. The VM is included in the daily backup running on the environment. This issue happens roughly 3 times a day on average.

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Can you exclude this vm from backup for a day and check if that makes some difference? Just to isolate the issue.Generally back up software creates a snapshot and do detach/attach task ...I suspect something related to that may cause this.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
thuso607
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I will try that. However, the issue only happens on the VMs that were converted from .qcow2 KVM format to .vmdk VMware format. All other VMs created originally from the VMware environment do not have that issue.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Some VMDK-formats cant be snapshotted - very likely your format conversion produced such a format and the result would be a failure when launching your automatic backup tool.

By the way - if you post a question like this without any details you must expect that you get a lot of suggestions that do nothing but fish in the mudd.
Check the vmdk-descriptorfile of the VMDK that produces the error.

0 Kudos
thuso607
Contributor
Contributor

I used "qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O vmdk -o adapter_type=lsilogic disk.qcow2 disk.vmdk" to convert the VM disks from the KVM host.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

and to find out wether that conversion creates an acceptable descriptor file we need to see the descriptorfile

0 Kudos