VMware Cloud Community
PraveenStreebo
Contributor
Contributor

Disk IO Issue in vmware free esxi server in VM

Hi All,

We are facing issue with DIsk IO operation in our VM. We are using free ESXI server 6.5 on our Dell server.

We have created VM with Paravirtualization controller and selected disk type Thick Provision Lazy Zeroed but we have still same issue with disk IO speed.

I have checked with DISK IO Operation with below command on Linux VM.

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/test7.img bs=16M count=65 oflag=dsync
  65+0 records in
  65+0 records out
  1090519040 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 70.8026 s, 15.4 MB/s

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/test2.img bs=1G count=1 oflag=dsync
1+0 records in 1+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 56.1572 s, 19.1 MB/s  

Please help me to resolved this issue.

Looking forward for reply on the same.

Thanks

PK

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What numbers did you expect to be seeing?

Useful CLI tool and reference: ESXTOP - Yellow Bricks | Yellow Bricks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
PraveenStreebo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Scott,

Thanks for your reply. I am currently able to see 15.4 MB/s for DISK IO speed. I am expecting to IO speed at least 70MB/s. We have RAID 5 configured on Dell server.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Use ESXTOP as per the link I posted previously - there are various DISK metrics in that article.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The "Lazy Zeroed" format have a write penalty for the first write.  Convert to Eager-Zero-Thick and try again.

What type of PERC you have in your Dell Server?

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
PraveenStreebo
Contributor
Contributor

Ho Joerg,

Thanks for your reply. I will try this one for VM.

I just want to confirm that if I create the VM with Eager-Zero-Thick then it will not touch /format any existing other running VMs data right?

Please guide me for the same.

Thanks

PK

0 Kudos
JafarTavana
Contributor
Contributor

you can create vms with different Disk /format and they work properly , just you must keep in mind your overall storage size.

0 Kudos