VMware vSphere

View Only
  • 1.  Direct Attached SFP+ NetAPP w/ iSCSI?

Posted Aug 21, 2019 01:04 AM

Hi Ladies/Gentlemen,

I am new to these forums and looking for a little direction. I recently encountered a configuration with a NetAPP SAN, 2 ESXi Hosts and VCSA 6.7u2. Both of the hosts are configured with x2 SFP+ modules, and associated cables, that are directly attached to the NetApp SAN and using iSCSI. After looking through the configuration; I am seeing that the Software iSCSI initiator is there, but there aren't any port bindings. What's more; I am also seeing that both iSCSI connections, on each host, are on different subnets. When I engaged the Engineer that configured this he told me that this was a "low cost" solution for the customer and supported by NetAPP. While I'm sure it may be supported by NetAPP; I am just not sure on the value this configuration brings.

I am looking for any thoughts that this community may have on this configuration, or whether it's even supported by VMware. Also, after looking through this document https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/pdf/vi_san_guide.pdf I am not finding a definitive answer. While the iSCSI section does not mention direct attached storage, it does mention FCoE and direct attached.

If someone wouldn't mind clarifying; I would truly be grateful.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Direct Attached SFP+ NetAPP w/ iSCSI?

Posted Aug 21, 2019 04:18 AM

VMware have different way how to deal with ISCSI and swISCSI in general. One of these is a setup without binding which always comes into game if you have a Storage setup with different Subnets. So its always the stroage which specify how to setup ISCSI in ESXi.

Take a look into VMware Knowledge Base and keep in mind that they made changes in 6.5.

Regards,

Joerg