VMware Cloud Community
Sharantyr3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Devices deprecated and unsupported in ESXi 7.0 - Skyline Health

Hello there,

Got a warning raised this morning about this alert on the vcenter skyline health check (KB 77304)

All my ESXi are yellow on this warning page. I am trying to find which dev raises this alert ... Servers are not that old (r740xd bought in 2018 for the oldest)

I downloaded the 3 excel files but couldn't find any devices are that are present in my servers.

I did read https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2019/04/what-is-the-impact-of-the-vmklinux-driver-stack-deprecation... but vmklinux module is not loaded on my ESXi

The closest match I could find using VID DID SVID and SSID is this one :

Marvell88SE9230 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s Controllerahci1b4b92300000

I am using "dell boss s1 adapter" for local esxi system storage, and the device code is 1b4b:9230 1028:1fe2 

Not the same code, but couldn't find anything closer.

Also, when looking on HCL, my device (ending with 1028:1fe2) is supported for vsphere 7, but I also noticed that the one listed on the excel file is displayed to be still supported by vsphere 7 :

Sharantyr3_0-1617283213962.png

Anyone has a clever way to know which device is raising this alarm ?

Thanks !

9 Replies
Unionsan
Contributor
Contributor

We are experiencing the exact problem on R740xd on vSphere 7.0.2 Build:17694817, hosts  7.0.1, 17325551. Figured I would stop by here before calling support.

0 Kudos
KISCharlie
Contributor
Contributor

Just for some added notes...   I'm having the same issue but only with two of our 740xd hosts.   These two are newer hosts that were purchased with in the last year.  Our older hosts are also 740xd's but do not show  this warning.

We are not running any vmklinux drivers which is the primary cause of this alert.

The main thing that I see different between the two is that the older hosts use Intel X710 NICs while the newer hosts use Broadcom BCM75412 NICs.  I cannot find any indication of the Broadcom NICs being the issue.

The newer hosts also have Dell BOSS-S1 Adapters, but I also can't find any indication that those would be an issue.

If you can find any correlation, please let me know.  I will also be following up with VMware soon.

0 Kudos
SteveEsx
Contributor
Contributor

I see the same on our Dell PowerEdge R740XD units but on the new Dell PowerEdge T440 that we got last summer it says directly that it is the BOSS card that is the problem.

I have contacted Dell to get their feedback about the issue and they are looking into it.

0 Kudos
Sharantyr3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok seems that the issue may be about the DELL S1 BOSS Card

My device exact code is 1b4b:9230 1028:1fe2 

Is it the same for you ?

@KISCharlie for comparison, I have qlogic cards, no broadcom or intel

0 Kudos
KISCharlie
Contributor
Contributor

As was already noted, this definitely appears to be related to the BOSS-S1 card.   I have another client with three 740xd hosts, with only the newest one having a BOSS-S1 card and it is the only one showing the device deprecation warning.

0 Kudos
chaotic_mess
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. 7.02 on R740's with BOSS S1 card showing as unsupported and "critical" in Skyline health check. Custer is performing normally. 7.01 did not throw any errors. 
 We really need vmware to get involved. Email chain with support has so far been unhelpful. 

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Good morning, 

this is a known issue, as I reported here: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-vSphere-Discussions/DEVICES-deprecated-and-unsuppoted-in-ES...

it is being investigated as we speak by engineering. 

depping
Leadership
Leadership

I just got the confirmation on the bug that the problem was resolved, verified it in my own lab as well. The device ID was incorrectly added to the list unfortunately. Thanks folks for reporting!

Sharantyr3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Master Depping

Thanks, I confirm on vsphere 6.7 the check is green 👍 Thanks for your help

0 Kudos