VMware Cloud Community
mjreccoppa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Device.hotplug option

I have a really stupid question that should be simple to answer, but I'm not sure what would be the best way to do this.  For our desktops in our VDI environment, we added the line, devices.hotplug=false to the settings of the parent image.  We now want the ability to have devices hotplug (don't ask why). 

Is it best to set the value to True or should I remove the line all together...or will it make no difference either way?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The consequence of setting devices.hotPlug to TRUE for a Windows VM,

1. There will be a bunch of devices (SCSI disks, NIC) that can now be "Ejected" just like USB thumb drives.
  2. For disks, it will have "Removable" property and if there is GPO security policy that makes removable disks to be read only, the virtual disk(s) of the VM will also become readonly. I don't think it affects the system disk (but I am not 100% sure) but the other drives will be affected.

So you may want to weigh the consequences and have a test on one instance first.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The consequence of setting devices.hotPlug to TRUE for a Windows VM,

1. There will be a bunch of devices (SCSI disks, NIC) that can now be "Ejected" just like USB thumb drives.
  2. For disks, it will have "Removable" property and if there is GPO security policy that makes removable disks to be read only, the virtual disk(s) of the VM will also become readonly. I don't think it affects the system disk (but I am not 100% sure) but the other drives will be affected.

So you may want to weigh the consequences and have a test on one instance first.

0 Kudos
mjreccoppa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  I actually misunderstood what my supervisor wanted me to do.  He just wanted me to enable hot plug options on CPU and memory in the hardware settings.

Thanks for the help!!!!

0 Kudos