VMware Cloud Community
OzCA
Contributor
Contributor

Detaching Storage Device - "Detach" not present

Hi everyone. Thank you in advance for your help!

I'm trying to detach a LUN from our environment.  I've been following the instructions here:  VMware Knowledge Base

Overall, things have been progressing well.  VM's have been moved off of the datastore.  There were no residual templates or files.

I was able to unmount the datastore from both (we only have 2) esxi hosts.  The datastore now shows "inactive" in our VCenter. (so far so good)

Now I'm trying to detach the devices before I can go back to the SAN and un-present the storage.

My issue is that "detach" is not even an option for the device.  Instead, my options are "Edit partitions, Clear Partition Table, or Rescan"

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 9.06.29 PM.png

I've not yet found anything which would explain why this is.  Any thoughts as to what I either did wrong or how I can get the "detach" option? 

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Welcome to VMTN. Smiley Happy

Try opening vCenter in another browser and see if you get the detach option.

If no, then check below

- If on any host in cluster, the datastore is set as Swap file location.

- If on any host in cluster, the datastore is updated in Agent VM settings.

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

are you trying this from webclient or html client(vsphere client)

Another option is to open a browser connect the the ESXi host directly and try to detach the device.

you can try command line also command available in the same KB

esxcli storage core device set --state=off -d NAA_ID

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos