VMware Cloud Community
wasilraye
Contributor
Contributor

Destination Cluster is not visible while migrating VM

Dear Friends,

I want to migrate VM from cluster A to cluster B all host are version 6.5 both cluster in same vCenter.

but while migrating can not see the destination cluster.

tried migrating VM in power off status but no luck.

Regards,

Wasil Raye

0 Kudos
15 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Datastore available on both cluster?

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do you have datacenter level permissions?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wasilraye
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

There is no datastore visibility between cluster A and B but i have permission on both the cluster.

Regards,

Wasil

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

As a requirement for cross cluster vMotion you need to have a shared datastore

Also the VM's portgroup backing vlan needs to be propagated on both source and destination site

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Thats not true,

Migration with vMotion in Environments Without Shared Storage

vMotion does not require environments with shared storage. This is useful for performing cross-cluster migrations, when the target cluster machines might not have access to the source cluster's storage. Processes that are working on the virtual machine continue to run during the migration with vMotion.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

How close are the clusters, in the same datacenter or further aport? Do you have vmotion vmkernel adapters setup and can they communicate with each other.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Also it would help if you share the error your seeing.

0 Kudos
wasilraye
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply friends.

Hello nachogonzalez

("portgroup backing vlan needs to be propagated") you mean to say same port groups, vlan and label should be available on both cluster hosts (right now i am having Distributed switch in cluster A and Standard switch in cluster B both are in same VC and DC) please suggest.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

That means is there network connectivity betyween the clusters,  preferably there should be the same network. In my lab I use vlan 6

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_3.png

but it doesn't need to be the same switch, just the vmotion vmkernel adapters in cluster a need to be able to talk to vmotion kernel adapters in cluster b.

wasilraye
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks sjesse,

This will help me I will check and let you know.

Regards,

Wasil

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Usually a port group is backed by a vlan propagated to all pNICs in the host.
So, If VM1 is on host1 in porgtgroup "VLAN400" and the backing VLAN is VLAN400 to other cluster you can move it to whatever portgroup you like but in order for that VM to keep network conectivity you will need to have VLAN400 propagated to any portgroup (doesn't mind the naming convention, if it is a vDS it will be the same on all hosts, if it is a vSS keep it the same since "portgroup" and "Portgroup" are different things to ESXi

Hope that works

0 Kudos
jasmeetsinghsur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For vMotion with out shared storage what is the port or network requirement?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Why not ask that question on your own thread?

Migration of virtual machines from vcenter 6.0 to vcenter 6.7 with new esxi hardware.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
jasmeetsinghsur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know the policies of VMware. If there is any guidelines please let me know to take care in future.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There aren’t any hard policies, but this topic is being discussed by multiple people in your own thread - so rather than asking on a loosely related thread it would seem to make more sense to keep your thread going.

0 Kudos