VMware Cloud Community
kullmannpg
Contributor
Contributor

Dell ESX 6.7 upgrade showing as incompatible

I have a pile of DELL R720 servers that are running ESX 6.5 and 6.0.  I am trying to upgrade them to 6.7.  However some are showing the upgrade as incompatible but with Vcenter 6.7 the scan no longer shows what the incompatibilities are.   How can I find out if its a VIB issue like the 6.5 upgrade and which ones?  Are there logs somewhere that will give more detailed information?

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Looks like R720 is not compatible with ESXi 6.7 -

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
Protog3ar
Contributor
Contributor

Dell R720 with Intel Xeon E5-2600-v2 Series processor is listed as compatible with 6.7 on HCL.  Only the early R720 Sandy Bridge that's not compatible.

I also have Dell R730 which is running ESXi Dell customized 6.5U1 and having similar issue during upgrade, where ESXi Dell custom image 6.7 or 6.7U1 is/are marked as incompatible after VUM scan on VCSA 6.7 HTML5.

On the previous vCenter version a conflicting/incompatible VIB would be listed after scan but on the new HTML5, its missing the detail button.

The workaround I can think of is to pick an ESXi host then proceed with an upgrade via thumb drive directly. Just to find the VIB incompatibilities, then proceed with removal of those VIB via SSH or script prior to VUM.  I m all ears for other solution.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The HCL doesnt list a single R720 as supportet for 6.7. But iam pretty sure it will run just fine.

Just boot the ISO as virtual CD from the iDRAC  and perform the upgrade manually.

If your ESXi was upgraded a couple of times maybe there a some VIBs listet as incompatible and you have to be uninstall them first. From time to time we also have some trouble with the OMSA VIB.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
chriv
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem with 2 of my 4 R710 servers in one of my data centers. I was able to upgrade VCSA to 6.7 and 2 of the 4 servers to ESXi 6.7U3, but I was not able to upgrade the other two past ESXi 6.0U3.

I was able to determine the problem by using the (depricated) Flex/Flash client for VCSA and going to the Update Manager tab for each of the hosts. From there, I selected the line for the Incompatible Host Upgrade (I'm making the assumption that you've at least tried upgrading through VUM remediation), and looked below to see the Status Details showing Unsupported devices [1000:0060:1028:1f0c].

I followed-up with some Google searching and found this device is the VMware Compatibility Guide as my Dell PERC 6/i RAID controller. Since all of my datastores on these two hosts use this RAID controller, removing the VIB for this is not an option for me, and I am forced to leave these two hosts running ESXi 6.0U3.

I would have liked to have been able to determine the problem using the HTML5 client, but I found no way to determine the actual incompatibilities using it.

I also know this is a really late reply, but hopefully someone still finds this information useful in determining why they cannot upgrade some of their hosts.

0 Kudos