VMware Cloud Community
LandynF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deleted snapshots, completed successfully, Disk corrupted?

I have removed some snapshots for some virtual machines. They all completed successfully. Reboot the servers and now some of them will not boot and the disks look to be corrupted. Do I need to restore everything from backup? or can I save this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

is this windows 2022, does it says anything about security violation   https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/90947

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

1. First from edit setting of VM, do you see disk pointing to snapshots or just vm.vmdk. If snapshot, it will show vm-00001.vmdk.

2. if running on snapshot, check size of snapshot from datastore, if very small, you can just remove and base disk.

3. From edit settings of VM, if it is running on snapshot, it will not allow you to edit the size of VM - just note

4. what is error that you see when trying to power on VMs

0 Kudos
LandynF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thankyou for the reply!

1. From the edit settings I see the disk pointing to the vm.vmdk
4. there is no error when starting the vm, it just goes to the virtual machine bios boot menu. From there I see Windows Boot Manager and when selected it just goes instantly back to the same screen, like the disk is bad. 

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

is this windows 2022, does it says anything about security violation   https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/90947

0 Kudos
LandynF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is Windows Server 2022 yes. I don't see an error related to Security Violation. But I do see this when starting the VM 

No operating system was found. If you have an operating system installation disc, you can insert the disc into the system's CD-ROM drive and restart the virtual machine.
Event Type Description:
A warning message listing a collection of observations has been reported by the virtual machine
Possible Causes:
The event contains details on why this warning was issued
Related events:
There are no related events.

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

can you share screen shot of VM console

0 Kudos
LandynF
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok I just rebooted it again and see what you mean. There is an error for EFI boot about security violation. This is the error you linked me to so looks like I need to update our hosts to 7.0 u3k to get this working again

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You dont need to update now, you can just disable "secure boot" in edit settings of VM and Power On the machine, it should be successfull

0 Kudos
alt_n
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When you delete the snapshot, the process is acctually merging snapshot with the virtual disk and there might be an error. You might have solved the problem this time but to avoid any further problems and spending time torubleshooting them, you can backup VM with Vinchin Backup & Recovery so you can restore VM anytime you want.

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

can you please provide screen shot

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos