VMware Cloud Community
Elhadi88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Datastore fills up quickly

Hello,

the space used on a datastore fills up quickly, and I wanted to know which VM is the cause.

Best Regards,

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
BigMike23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you use thin provisioning for your datastore? have you over provisioned space for the VM's in your Datastore?

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Just a wild guess ....
somebody ignores regularly checking the Veeam logs - maybe one VM is running amok and creates new snapshots daily ....

Other than that - inspect your Datastore with WinSCP and you probably find the misbehaving VM in minutes.

Ulli

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What may help to get a quick overview is RVTools. It's free, and generates  a great overview of your environment in seconds.

André

Elhadi88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi @BigMike23 

The datastore is not over-provisioned, and the vms are thin.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Elhadi88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @a_p_ 

I can't see the fast growing vm with RVtools.

BR

0 Kudos
Elhadi88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello @continuum 

there are no snapshots on the vms.

BR

0 Kudos
BigMike23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you run rvtools now and save the output, then when you have the datastore filling up later run rvtools again and you should be able to see which VM is out of control. You can compare them in Excel and see the changes.

0 Kudos
BigMike23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is a great idea, I wonder if there is an easy way to track changes with rvtools, I export to xls and then compare that way.

0 Kudos
Elhadi88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@BigMike23 

Thanks for your answer, but if the datastore has stopped growing, it is not possible to do so.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
BigMike23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is great news that the datastore has stopped growing. Thanks for letting us know.

0 Kudos