VMware Cloud Community
lcarter0183
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Datastore deletion help

Ok, I admit that I did this the wrong way to start with, but I got ahead of myself quite a bit. Instead of searching and finding the correct steps to deleting a datastore from vcenter, I removed the only VM that was attached to the datastore and then went to my SAN and deleted the volume that the datastore was on.

Is there any way that I can still delete the datastore from vcenter? Does it matter at this point whether I can or can't delete it? The datastore just shows up now as inactive and there are obviously no files in the datastore.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You'll have to detach the block device that represented this datastore and rescan your hosts. It's quite possible you'll have to reboot each as well. BTW, I recently published an article which does outline the proper steps to remove a datastore here and so maybe it'll help you in the future.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You'll have to detach the block device that represented this datastore and rescan your hosts. It's quite possible you'll have to reboot each as well. BTW, I recently published an article which does outline the proper steps to remove a datastore here and so maybe it'll help you in the future.

0 Kudos
lcarter0183
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Forgive me for being dumb, but what exactly do you mean "detach the block device"? Are you referring to my SAN? So basically I need to restart my whole system?

0 Kudos
lcarter0183
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, nevermind. All I had to do is rescan the datastores and the deleted datastore is now gone

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Then the LUN was in PDL condition since you said you deleted it directly from the array, so rescan is all you would have to do. Otherwise, you'd likely have to reboot.

0 Kudos