VMware Cloud Community
newkid1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DVS uplinks

Hello experts,

I have easy questions for you. but it is not easy for me.

I have 3 esxi hosts on DVS with four 1 Gbps uplinks. I add two 10 Gbps NICs on those hosts. I have 2 nexus switches in vpc setup. I bundle (etherchannel or portchannel) two 10 Gbps nics on one of the hosts that is facing nexus switches. On vmware side, i use Route based on Physical nic load as load balancing method. My questions are

Can i use two 10 G nics in the bundle and existing four 1 G nics together in the Active uplinks? My goals is to keep only 10 G connections or uplinks and remove 1 g connections or uplinks.

If i remove 1 G uplinks on the portgroup on one of the hosts, will it remove all uplinks on other hosts since it is a distributed switch?

I do not have a lab and not sure of the outcome if i remove 1 g uplinks on one host.

Please advise.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. Configure each 10 G port on each nexus switch as plain trunk port and allow necessary vlans.

2. Put one 10 G port in active uplink in the portgroup. And, the rest 1 G ports in standby.

3. Put the other 10 G port in active uplink and configure LBT on every portgroup in the VDS.

2.5. Remove the 1 GbE uplinks.

Can we have 10 G and 1 G active uplinks the same time?

You can but it's not at all a good idea and I don't recommend it.

Once i remove 1 G active uplinks from vds, it will remove all 1 G active uplinks from all host. Am i right?

Yes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're already using a vDS then you do not need to use a LAG on your Nexus or ESXi side. Use regular ports on the uplinks with no EtherChannel. Once you have just regular ports, you can add one of the 10 GbE NICs to the vDS config. Put it as active and the 1 GbE interfaces on standby. Ensure connectivity is correct. Remove all 1 GbE interfaces. Now add the second 10 GbE uplink and set as active. Use LBT policy since a LAG does not exist.

0 Kudos
newkid1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Daphnissov,

Thank you for your reply.  Here is how i understand from your post.

1. Configure each 10 G port on each nexus switch as plain trunk port and allow necessary vlans.

2. Put one 10 G port in active uplink in the portgroup. And, the rest 1 G ports in standby.

3. Put the other 10 G port in active uplink and configure LBT on every portgroup in the VDS.

Is that correct?   

Once i remove 1 G active uplinks from vds, it will remove all 1 G active uplinks from all host. Am i right?

Thank you once again.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

2.5. Remove the 1 GbE uplinks.

You can but it's not at all a good idea and I don't recommend it.

Yes.

0 Kudos
newkid1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you.

0 Kudos