VMware Cloud Community
MMcNeill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DVS Upgrade from 5.5 to 6.5

I have upgraded several of our distributed switches without any issues.  (Blink and it's done)  I have backed up the switches prior just in case, which leads me to my question. I have two switches left that have a lot of VMs connected, so I need clarification on steps to take in case something goes wrong.  I know it is stated that once a switch is upgraded, it cannot be "reverted" back to the previous version.  Does that mean, that I cannot do a restore using the exported config that I took prior?  If not, would I import the switch and then move the hosts to it?  Never been faced with this, so just want to be prepared in case all heck breaks loose.  Thanks in advance for the help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MMcNeill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Diego!  So if I import the switch with the preservation option, does it right over the exiting switch that failed the upgrade?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If the upgrade is not successful, to recreate the switch with its port groups and connected hosts, you can import the switch configuration file with the Preserve original distributed switch and port group identifiers option selected in the Import Distributed Switch wizard.

Check if the following VMware KB article helps:Upgrade a vSphere Distributed Switch to a Later Version with the vSphere Web Client

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
MMcNeill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Diego!  So if I import the switch with the preservation option, does it right over the exiting switch that failed the upgrade?

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, you should use this option.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos