VMware Cloud Community
DaveMitchell201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DRS cpu chart metric

When I look at the cpu used on one of my hosts in a 6.5 drs cluster it gives me a figure of about 40% usage, but when I look at the same host in the vSphere drs tab CPU utilisation chart it shows as 60% used.  (I've looked at 'utilisation' cpu counter on the host and that is only about 30%, so it not using that metric)

Can anyone tell me why this is different, and which should I go by when looking at capacity?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DaveMitchell201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just thought I would look at this in the html5 client, (was using flash before) .  This shows all my hosts at 100% CPU utilisation in the drs chart!!  Is this a bug or what?

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Thanks to you I discovered that graphic...
I am used to using a monitoring tool or just check the utilization on the host.

Anyway, it seems like a problem with the client (maybe a refresh is necessary) or a bug (remember that HTML5 wasn't fully featured in 6.5).

I am using vSphere 6.7 without any problem.

If you check the hosts tab, it doesn't show something like the first screenshot, does it?

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I don't use the drs graphics for monitoring capacity, thats more for checking why a virtual machines are actively moving. Your best bet if your have vrealize operaitons manager if you have it, even the standard version. There is a capacity tool that will give you an idea of what you have and has suggestions on reclaimable. Outside of that I'd look at the hosts metrics directly for better metrics.

0 Kudos
DaveMitchell201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I take it no one knows what metric the DRS cpu chart uses?

0 Kudos