VMware Cloud Community
Marcos_Schimidt
Contributor
Contributor

DRS - HA - EVC

Hello everybody

On Sunday I disabled the H.A of my VMware environment to intervene in the environment. Today I noticed when I needed to move a host machine in the cluster an EVC error, but strange that when checking the EVC, it shows that it is compatible. I'm putting some pictures attached, if anyone can help me, I appreciate it.

Thanks All

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

EVC on the cluster is disabled, and the new host doesn't have the same CPU features as the existing host, which is why you get this error.  In order to enable EVC on the cluster and avoid this, you have to power all VMs off.

0 Kudos
Marcos_Schimidt
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I came to this conclusion too, but it's strange that the CPU's of the two hosts are compatible and don't need EVC enabled, which I found strange.

Host1

• Hypervisor: VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 15160138
  • Model: PowerEdge R640
  • Processor Type: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4208 CPU @ 2.10GHz

Host2

• Hypervisor: VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 15160138
  • Model: PowerEdge R640
  • Processor Type: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4110 CPU @ 2.10GHz

0 Kudos
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

You are misreading it, due to a odd way that the data is presented.  A cluster without EVC enabled will always show Compatible, only because it's compatible with itself.  When you add a new host to the cluster with EVC disabled, it still shows compatible, which is misleading because the hosts are only compatible with themselves, not each other.

0 Kudos