VMware Cloud Community
RichBurns
Contributor
Contributor

DRS Balancing VMs

I need to confirm my understanding of DRS and it's ability (or possible lack there of) to balance out VMs on a group of hosts. If I am understanding this correctly, unless there is an issue with one or more MVs getting needed resources, the DRS will not move the VMs between hoists, just to keep CPU or Memory usage balanced between them, correct? I have attached a couple of screen shots to this to illustrate what I am seeing. It shows that everything is almost perfectly balanced, but when I look at the CPU and Memory, I see that there is a fairly broad range between what each host is using (25 to 44% on CPU; 56 to 73% on Memory). Is there some setting that I can enable to lessen the deltas on these hosts? Or would I need to have some other sort of load balancing (either via a VM or software) to perform this?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Read this

vSphere 6.5 DRS and Memory Balancing in Non-Overcommitted Clusters - VMware vSphere Blog

basically the default methods doesn't use 100% of the commited memory metrics, it uses the active memory metric to balance the memory acutally in use. It mentions a setting you can enable to have the commited memory spread more evently, but its more likely to trigger memory reclamation if you over commit your hosts.

0 Kudos