VMware Cloud Community
sudo-sudo
Contributor
Contributor

DPG, DvSwitches, VLAN and VM Traffic Route

TL;DR To route VM-a traffic off the host to VM-b on another host, a p-NIC must be associated with the DVswitch attached to a DPG. Sorry, its a simple question now that I write it... but it might help someone else in the future.

I have a scenario where traffic wont route except for when the two VM's are on the same host.

Even if the VMs are on the same, VLAN, DPG and vSwitch.

I think I know why but I want another opinion!

This scenario is a number of VMs on a single distributed port group "DPGa", Attached to "DvSwitch-a" without any up-links or p-switching. That may tell you enough already.

Of these VMs, two (a firewall and a Linux box) VMfire and VMLinux both have a second NIC and use it to attach to "DPGb", which is on a "DvSwitchb" and this has p-up-links to a p-switch.

3 hosts total and not much else going on, simple setup.

When VMLinux is on a different host, it cannot see VMfire at all.

It can see the outside world through DPGb

If VMLinux is v-motioned onto the same host as other VMs, it can see VMfire.

My understanding is that Dvswitches and DPGs, without a physical switch backing and up-links, cannot route traffic off-Host at all?

Which now that I say it... how else would it work, right?

This particular scenario only needs local traffic, I didn't recognise the need for physical switching as I considered a DvSwitch to be magic....

So the question then is, why does vSphere let you join a VM to a DPG when it cannot route traffic into the DPG, there is no warning on that?

Message was edited by: G M. Last line question

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Well, it does tell you when you create the vDS that you don't have any uplinks assigned to it. That is usually warning enough. Otherwise, it's a pretty faulty assumption to believe a vDS is magic and that somehow a VM on host A is able to magically communicate over the ether to a VM on host B when they are not connected in any way.

0 Kudos
sudo-sudo
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, yes it was a faulty assumption.:smileyplain:

Sorry, I didn't mention that the hosts have a second DVswitch and this has p-uplinks.

The VM-Linux was connected to that other DVswitch as well and traffic flows there, so it does have connection between hosts through a DVswitch and p-switch.

Just not on that other dpg / dvswitch.

Thanks for the confirmation though.

0 Kudos