VMware Cloud Community
Dynacel
Contributor
Contributor

DNS Server on ESXi

So, I swear I've done this a few dozen times. Spun up a DC on an ESXi box, added DNS role...

My VMs can resolve using the DNS, but no computers outside the VM Network can resolve DNS.

They can ping the DNS server, I can remote into it from them, they just can't resolve DNS.

7 Replies
NicolasAlauzet

Is your external network routed? or same L2?

Guessing could be firewall in between, firewall in the AD for traffic comming for other networks (Routed Network)

Try telnet from the VMs that are not working.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
0 Kudos
SrVMwarer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

- What if Computers outside his VM Network can't ping the DNS Servers from the first place :=)

Let's start from the bottom to the top is DNS pingable? if yes, then is there's a Firewall rule that prevents that

It's always Ping'ability/DNS/NTP then Firewall :')

Regards, İlyas
Dynacel
Contributor
Contributor

All on the same L2.

I've tried disabled the firewall on the DC, if that's what you mean?

All of the VMs are working fine. It's any machine that's not on the VM server, so physical machines, other servers, etc.

0 Kudos
NicolasAlauzet

Test Telnet please, from the VMs that are not working.

And, double check configuration parameters for Network interfaces =P

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
SrVMwarer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

All your physical hosts can't resolve, right ?

Regards, İlyas
0 Kudos
Dynacel
Contributor
Contributor

Correct. However, I resolved the issue, although I didn't exactly find the problem.

I guess I made the mistake of modifying my DHCP to point to the DNS server BEFORE I set up the DNS server. So all of the machines that had already connected via DHCP were having trouble reaching DNS.

I expired all of the DHCP leases, and they started connecting. Clearly not a VMware issue at all, so I apologize for taking up the time in this forum.

SrVMwarer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No problem at all GREAT experience, I am really happy that your issue resolved

Regards, İlyas
0 Kudos