VMware Cloud Community
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

DNS Issue with converge tool

This week I've been working on upgrading our vSphere 6.5 environment to 6.7 U1. I have successfully upgraded both external PSCs and both vCenter servers, one each resides in our production data center and DR site.

I now am attempting to run the converge tool to move away from the external PSC appliance for our production VCSA.

I've set up my JSON file and it passes the template check, however when I do the precheck option, it fails with:

"Could not resolve the 'FQDN of vcenter' to hostname. This issue may be observed due to temporary network problem too.

Now I have attempted this process from a server on the same subnet as the vcenter and PSC. I've also tried from my desktop which has full unrestricted access to that subnet where the servers live. I have tested DNS and have no problem resolving any of the server names to IPs or vice versa from the VCSA, PSC, my desktop, or the utility server on the same subnet.

Even if I remove the FQDN and put in the IP address of the VCSA it throws the same error message.

I'm totally stumped.

The logs offer no more information that this that I can see.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey FunRaiser​ sorry I didn't see this until just now. Hope you figured it out. For reference in the future this is what we did to fix it:

We narrowed it down to an issue on the esxi host which was running the vCenter. There was some stale process which was preventing the management apis from working correctly. We vmotioned vCenter to another host and it worked.

If I recall, that host hadn't been rebooted in a very long time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If what you say is true, it sounds like you're doing everything correctly so I'd probably open an SR with GSS on this one.

0 Kudos
birend1988
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Can you check vmdird.log for any error at the of convergence.

VCIX, NCAP
0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm just running the precheck. Haven't attempted the live run yet.

In addition I looked for the vmdird.log and am not seeing it.

I will open a case with VMware today.

0 Kudos
FunRaiser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello CHris,

what was the outcome of the SR?

I'm facing the same issue. Our vCenter has also a PNID with a IP instead of FQDN.

Thanks,

Kristof

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey FunRaiser​ sorry I didn't see this until just now. Hope you figured it out. For reference in the future this is what we did to fix it:

We narrowed it down to an issue on the esxi host which was running the vCenter. There was some stale process which was preventing the management apis from working correctly. We vmotioned vCenter to another host and it worked.

If I recall, that host hadn't been rebooted in a very long time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos