VMware Cloud Community
Arniczek
Contributor
Contributor

DEVICES deprecated and unsuppoted in ESXi 7.0

Hi.

I have installed esxi 7.0U1 newest patches on two dell r400 - BOSS-S1 Adapter /newest firmware/ .I have HA cluster. and I have strange error . In monitor skyline health there is red exclamation mark by BOSS-S1 Adapter DEVICES  deprecated and unsuppoted in ESXi 7.0 (Beta)

Devices that were only supported in 6.7 or earlier by a VMKlinux inbox driver. These devices are no longer supported because all support for VMKlinux drivers and their devices have been completely removed in 7.0. 

but according VMware Compatibility Guide BOSS S1 Adapter is suported by 7.0U1

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=io&productid=46954&vcl=true

REST to green and retest nothing help. Any idea ?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
chaotic_mess
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here with 7u2. Hard to believe that there is no support for an adapter in use everywhere. Wish I'd hung at 6.7 at this point. I'm going to try to update the firmware of the controller. I can find nothing but this post post on the net but we are early in. Hope it's just a bug or a bad April fools joke.. I have a ticket open but the email reply was unhelpful. 

0 Kudos
Arniczek
Contributor
Contributor

Write here if you know what to do ... Thanks

0 Kudos
toddg1
Contributor
Contributor

Same exact problem.  Very frustrating, our Dell servers are not even 6 months old yet.  

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I have the same in my lab, issue is being researched.

JWoodruff
Contributor
Contributor

Same here in a ESXI 7.0 U1, very odd- considering hosts are less than a year old.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Just to report back, we have several support requests on this topic, and the issue has been forwarded to engineering. It is being investigated.

aleksandarpile
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, please update with info when you get answer from VMware support.

0 Kudos
chaotic_mess
Contributor
Contributor

Well guys, guess what just disappeared from the Skyline health check. BOSS S1 not showing as "unsupported" as of a retest at 9.45am CST 
Seems they may have it sorted as a bug in Skyline. Any further info is always appreciated. 

depping
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, I just got the confirmation on the bug that the problem was resolved, verified it in my own lab as well. The device ID was incorrectly added to the list unfortunately. Thanks folks for reporting!

toddg1
Contributor
Contributor

So mine still shows up, but so do all my other recommendations that I have resolved.  It's been well over 48 to 72 hours.. is there a re-scan option to force this to update?

0 Kudos
chaotic_mess
Contributor
Contributor

In Skyline Health tab (under "monitor" , at the top of listed checks, click "retest"

0 Kudos
rothb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As mentioned by Duncan vSphere Skyline Health report is now fine, but as noted in the Spreadsheet "7.0 VMKlinux deprecated devices.xlsx", which is attached to KB77304, our BOSS S1 Adapter (VID 1b4b/DID 9230) is still deprecated. Also a "moderate" warning shows up in Skyline Advisor because of this. The latest update of the file was in March, where the Intel Lewisburg SATA AHCI Controller was removed from the deprecated devices list.

So it seems that Skyline Advisor and the file in the KB article are still reflecting the deprecated status of the Dell BOSS-S1 Adapter. Hope this will get fixed soon.

0 Kudos
rothb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got confirmation from VMware Skyline Advisor TSE that the engineering team is aware of this false positive. VMware will update this rule by end of June 2021. The workaround is to mark this recommendation as a hidden finding.

0 Kudos