Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

DELL R540/R720 SAS HBA and scv3020 - Sanity check failed

Hi,

i have 2 server DELL R540 with firmware latest updates 

• VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 8935087 - Dell customized iso

with SAS 12 G HBA

• vmhba3  mpt3sas - Avago (LSI Logic) / Symbios Logic Dell 12Gbps SAS HBA external

conected to DELL EMC Compellent SCV3020, driver mpt3sas is latest from myvmware site

version scsi-mpt3sas_13.00.00.00-1OEM.600.0.0.2494585.vib

on one of my host i got an error:

Sanity check failed for path vmhba3:C0:T1:L256. The path is to a vVol PE, but it goes out of adapter vmhba3 which is not PE capable. Path dropped.

same error at my second customer with DELL R720, SAS 12G HBA and DELL EMC SCV3020...

i dont using vVol PE, but customers are little nervous with this error messages...

any advices ?

Thx !

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

None of the versions of the driver 'mpt3sas' support the 'Second Level LUN ID' feature. You can avoid these warming messages by not presenting any LUN having LUN ID greater than 255, via this controller. You can use software LUN masking on the ESXi to prevent the ESXi from seeing any LUNs above LUN ID 255. However, this is not recommended.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

These events are seen when a LUN with a LUN ID higher than 255 is seen by a storage adapter which, is on a driver version that does not support 'Second Level LUN ID' feature. This issue occurs because the path that the Protocol Endpoint (PE) LUN is using, is not vVOL capable. Any LUN greater than 255 will be detected as vVOL PE. Resolution is to upgrade the storage adapter driver version to a 'Second Level LUN ID' feature compatible version. More details in the link - VMware Knowledge Base

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
TomKalabis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Resolution is to upgrade the storage adapter driver version to a 'Second Level LUN ID' feature compatible version.

ok, can you send me link to correct driver ? now i using scsi-mpt3sas_13.00.00.00-1OEM.600.0.0.2494585.vib

and i cannot search correct one...

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Can you run the command <vmkchdev -l | grep -i vmhba3> and share the output?

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
TomKalabis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

[root@ESX1:~] vmkchdev -l | grep -i vmhba3

0000:af:00.0 1000:0097 1028:1f46 vmkernel vmhba3

VVol is not used in my cases... i think, that is "false positive" right ?

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

None of the versions of the driver 'mpt3sas' support the 'Second Level LUN ID' feature. You can avoid these warming messages by not presenting any LUN having LUN ID greater than 255, via this controller. You can use software LUN masking on the ESXi to prevent the ESXi from seeing any LUNs above LUN ID 255. However, this is not recommended.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos