VMware Cloud Community
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Creation of Virtual Port Group (standard switch)

Hi,

Can somebody confirm that I will need to create a port group for each physical host (ESXi) on the cluster?  I have 5 hosts and manage them using vCenter (6.5)  I need to create a new VLAN ID and assign that to the new port group.

Also how would I test its communication of the new created VLAN/port group besides creating a new VM and assigning the network?  Can I SSH into vCenter and ping the gateway of the new VLAN?

My lab setup is down so I just want to verify here first.

Thanks,

TT

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can somebody confirm that I will need to create a port group for each physical host (ESXi) on the cluster?

Yes, it is recommended to have the vSwitch and port group settings consistent across hosts - if not you could have VMs which are only able to run on a subset of the hosts in your cluster rather than all of your hosts.

Also how would I test its communication of the new created VLAN/port group besides creating a new VM and assigning the network?

Test with a VM

Can I SSH into vCenter and ping the gateway of the new VLAN?

Better to do testing from another system, your vCenter Server may not need access to that network anyway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback.

TT

0 Kudos