VMware Cloud Community
coolswatish
Contributor
Contributor

Creating disks on multiple datastores

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create a VM with multiple disks specified in the OVF description. And in the OVF deployment wizard, I want it to prompt for datastore for each disk. But the selection of the datastore has a Radio button(in Flash) or single selection in HTML5 UI. Hence I can select only one datastore. And then that datastore is used for all the disks. Is there a way of prompting datastore for each of the disks?

ovf_disks.jpg

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BerndtSchumann
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you try to add disks at the step 8?

0 Kudos
coolswatish
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I can add the disks and even configure its size. But all those disks go to the datastore selected in Step 6. Any configuration in the OVF file that can prompt in OVF deployment wizard for different datastores for each disk?

0 Kudos
tayfundeger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

After ovf deployment, you can migrate the virtual machine to a different datastore. Here you can also migrate the disks on the virtual machine to different datastores. To do this, you can follow the path below.

Right-click virtual machine migration> Change Storage Only> Advanced, you can migrate disks to different datastores.

--
Blog: https://www.tayfundeger.com
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/tayfundeger

vBlogger, vExpert, Cisco Champions

Please, if this solution helped your problem, "Helpful" if it solves your problem "Correct Answer" to mark.
0 Kudos
coolswatish
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Tayfun. But we specifically want to select datastore for a disk in the OVF deployment wizard itself. The solution you suggested will be done post VM deployment.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As there's nothing built-in to do this, perhaps you should look at scripting - using a combination of OVF Tool (to deploy) and PowerCLI (to migrate disks)

Open Virtualization Format Tool (ovftool) - VMware {code}

VMware PowerCLI - VMware {code}

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos