VMware Cloud Community
enkidoe
Contributor
Contributor

Creating a server lab environment

Lets say i would like to create a 5 or 6 windowsserver labenvironment(dc,dc, exchange, client, dfs,...) In Vmware. I would like to offer this environment to students(around 60) but they need to have their own independent labenvironment.

Anyone who knows how to get this done and what hardware i need? Where can i read how much memory, disks, processorpower i need?

Many thanks for helping.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

This can be a complex subject and you haven't provided much to go on as far as requirements are concerned. Can you expound more on what you want to do and how you need to do it? This can go in several different directions and without more refinement it's just going to be a jumble of thoughts.

0 Kudos
enkidoe
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for your reply. Its for offering students a testing environment for learning mcsa courses. Now to dothis? I dont know, thats why i am asking here. Is such a thing possible, which resources do i need,...

0 Kudos
MBreidenbach0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Some things to consider:

vSphere can clone VMs and VM templates. Some techniques like thin provisioning and linked clones may be useful.

There are storage systems that support thin provisioned LUN clones from LUN snapshots which could be used to assist here (i.e. NetApp FAS, probably others too)

How big is the change rate ? If we use thin provisioned VM or LUN clones - can we calculate their space requirements ?

We are talking about 300-400 VMs. Will / may they be powered on at the same time ? Then we may need a lot of computing resources (CPU cores + RAM).

We probably need to automate deployment. PowerShell based PowerCLI scripting can be used to clone VMs (used it to deploy 450 VMs in a project)

These VMs probably need separated network environments. Do they need access to other systems ? Then we'll have to configure networking + firewalls. Probably automated too.

Who will be implemnting ? 'expensive' consultants or 'cheap' student workers ?

and finally....

what's the budget ?

0 Kudos
enkidoe
Contributor
Contributor

We are still talking about ho to get things done and what we need for that. Because of that, we havent talked yet about budget. First we need to know which hardware too use and how to offer the machines to the students.

So, 2 questiins,

How to offer the machines in to students so they only have acces to their machines

And

What hardware too use(whitepapers?)

0 Kudos
enkidoe
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone? Is there an official formula from Vmware that explains how many memory and cores one needs for a specific amount of Virtual Machines?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, there isn't because "virtual machine" can be anything at all. Unless you can provide *specific* details on exactly what you intend on running, we can't provide advice.

0 Kudos
Gidrakos
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you strictly a Windows environment? If so,  while I know we're on a VMware forum, have you looked into Microsoft's Hyper-V technology? It can provision and maintain any number of VMs tailored to your liking, all integrated perfectly into your Windows environment.

That being said, if you're already running VMware, have you looked into VMware Horizon? Horizon offers the ability to make personalized (individual) VMs on a per-user basis, or to create linked clones on-the-fly as users request them. Horizon is also great because there is a free client application available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Phone and tablet that would allow users to connect to your environment from almost anywhere.

We're currently using Horizon in our environment and everyone seems to love it so it's worth the extra licenses that we had to purchase from VMware.

0 Kudos
enkidoe
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting, never used Horizon, will have a look at ti. But what about the specs, how do you know how many vm's can i use with a specific processor and memory? Is there a whitepaper available, or something else?

0 Kudos
Gidrakos
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You'll likely want to start here: Get Started with View but more specifically here: System Requirements for Server Components

enkidoe
Contributor
Contributor

view is the same as Horizon? And i read the articles but i cant see how many cpu power and memory i need voor a virtual machine.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You keep asking how much CPU and memory it takes to run a virtual machine but you don't specify what you're doing with it. So let me ask you some questions. How much does a house cost? How many kilometers can I drive a vehicle on a litre of fuel? The answer to all these questions is "it depends" based on a bunch of different factors. Unless you provide more details for what and how you're using something, such a generic question cannot be answered.

0 Kudos
enkidoe
Contributor
Contributor

I did give that info in my first post:

5 or 6 windowsserver labenvironment(dc,dc, exchange, client, dfs,...) In Vmware. I would like to offer this environment to students(around 60) but they need to have their own independent labenvironment.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Here's a swag with barebones numbers:

DC: 1 x 2

Exchange: 2 x 4

Client: What does this mean?? Start with 1 x 2

DFS: Start with 1 x 2

0 Kudos
enkidoe
Contributor
Contributor

What domuou mean with 'start with 1x2'?

0 Kudos
HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

let me make it simple here

1- prepare a list of VMs toy need for singel student(AD,MS Exchange....) with best practice of Microsoft in Mem CPU and HDD

2- get the total vCPU, Memory and HDD

3- add overhead 15% (VCPU )

4-add overhead 15% (Memory) =total Memory

4- for HDD add Total Memory and add 20% overhead =total storage

5- consider consolidation of 3:1 (divide the total VCPU by 3) =physical core

6- now you have the requirements for single student

7- multiply these numbers with number of students, so you will have the totals for all students

9- use these number to suggest the right hardware

0 Kudos