VMware Cloud Community
paul_xedos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Creating a new vm using existing disk - option not available in 6.7?

I posted earlier on issues I was having recovering a ubuntu vm running on Esxi6.7 under Vspher 6.7 control

The vm is bootable but only via EFI -> "Boot from File" suggesting corrupted .vmx

One suggestion was to create a new vm ( not Register) and point to the existing disk as explained here

This option does not seem to exist whether accessing the esxi server directly or going via vsphere. Anyone know how I can point to my vmdk?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure why you don't see that option, when I create a VM I can simply add a new Harddisk and select an existing file?

Screenshot 2020-10-21 at 14.06.57.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can post the image of what appears to you ... you should see the option.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure why you don't see that option, when I create a VM I can simply add a new Harddisk and select an existing file?

Screenshot 2020-10-21 at 14.06.57.png

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

...also directly from the Esxi host the option exists:

pastedImage_0.png

I'd like to see the screen that sees "" to understand why he doesn't have the option.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved out of the Backup & Recovery area since this is a general vSphere admin matter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
paul_xedos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Perfect, I did not realise it was "Add Device" to get to the existing disk . Thanks very much

0 Kudos
paul_xedos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help. Clicking on Add Device was the bit I was missing

0 Kudos