VMware Cloud Community
VMwareCTO
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Creating VMs from templates considerations

As much as I remember that in Windows and Linux there is an ID for each object for example in windows let say the Administrator account has his own SID and so on also in Linux, so my question is that what additional steps we should do in order to change these values whenever we create another VM from a Windows or Linux template let say here I am speaking about Windows Server 2016 and RHEL 7 for example.

Many thanks to you in Advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

One thing that you want to do when you create a VM from template is customization.

You can create customization specification in vcenter and use it. It will kick sysprep on Windows or some scripts (if I'm not wrong) on linux.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

I recommend using Customization Specifications.  Not only will it change the SID for you by running Sysprep, but it will change the name of the VM, among many other things.

Here is a link to help get started.

Customizing Guest Operating Systems

vSphere Documentation Center

Keep in mind, certain permissions are required to use Customization Specifications, so if the people deploying the VMs do not have Administrator rights, they may not be able to use the customizations and may find the buttons grayed out. 

Regards,

Randhir