VMware Cloud Community
paulc1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Create an over 62TB drive in a Windows Server 2016 VM

Hello,

We have a need for a 160+TB drive in a Windows VM. Obviously the limit for virtual drives is 62TB, so one drive probably isn't going to happen.

The storage is FC from IBM SVC.

My initial thoughts were to do multiple smaller luns and use Windows Storage Spaces, but from my reading it may not be compatible and even if it is compatible I've read a lot of horror stories. That may just be because people aren't posting online when it works.

Would a program like DrivePool work?

Would creating dynamic disks and a spanned volume in Disk Management work?

I'm not sure what is the best solution here. Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It "works", but there are multiple things that can happen that could cause loss of data. There are issue I beleive with backups from major vendors like Veam, so it really depends on how reliable you want that data. I've never seen anyone ever recommend a solution that includes windows dynamic disks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Whats the use case, as handling storage like that on the guest level isn't a good idea, can you use a network share instead?

0 Kudos
paulc1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Its a forensics tool, so it will be collecting data and then archiving it.

Believe me I'd love to use a network share, but the storage that was purchased for this project is FC. There is no money for a physical server to act as a fileserver.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It "works", but there are multiple things that can happen that could cause loss of data. There are issue I beleive with backups from major vendors like Veam, so it really depends on how reliable you want that data. I've never seen anyone ever recommend a solution that includes windows dynamic disks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos