Contributor
Jump to solution

Create Intenal Network

Hi Forum

I have an Issue I just can't figure out now

I should create a Seperate testsystem on my Esxi

To this test system I'm needing the following network

WAN - Attached to a Physical NIC

MT-Admin = VirtualSwitch without physical NIC)

MT-DMZ = VirtualSwitch without physical NIC)

I created a VM as Pfsense

With WAN attached EM0

MT-Admin = EM1

MT-DMZ = EM2

Then I created 2 VM - A Windows Server and a Linux SQL and attached these VM to the MT-DMZ

But I cannot get any IP on this internal network ?

If I attach a Physical NIC - Then I'm able to get an IP - but the issue that I have is that I do not have enough NICs to attach a NIC to each Vswitch.

THat Why I want to create an Internal Network for the MT-DMZ which should only exist as an Internal network - but still able to use the DHCP server from PFsense

Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible at all in VMware - as it is in HyperV ( There you can create an Internal Switch)

As described I do not think there's a problem with the PFsense since everything is working as intended when attaching a Physical NIC ?

so any advice is appriciated

THanks In advance 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Udbytossen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well - PFsense is running its own DHCP Server - so would get it

I Did struggle quite a bit - but when setting a static IP - it'll work, but somehow it did seem like the DHCP wasn't affected - so I did delete All networks created them again, and this time it did work

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What you describe is the default DHCP behavior.

In order for DHCP clients to receive a DHCP lease, you either need to have a DHCP server on the same broadcast domain (i.e. in your DMZ), or configure a DHCP helper (from what I found with a quick search, this is named DHCP Relay in pfSense), which forwards DHCP requests to a DHCP server that contains a scope for the DMZ subnet.

André

0 Kudos
Udbytossen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well - PFsense is running its own DHCP Server - so would get it

I Did struggle quite a bit - but when setting a static IP - it'll work, but somehow it did seem like the DHCP wasn't affected - so I did delete All networks created them again, and this time it did work

0 Kudos