VMware Cloud Community
oliver_g
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Create Email Alert if VM goes down - NON-VCSA host

Hello All,

I have been searching for a way to tell if a vm goes down on a NON-VCSA Esxi host.

So far, no luck.

It there a way using the vSphere client to do this for a running vm?

I suppose I could create a PowerCLi script to run on a windows machine to do this.

Or perhaps creating a cron job on the Esxi host that hosts the vms.

Any suggestions on this? - I hope this is NOT a duplicate post, if it is

please advise on how I can check if my post is a duplicate?

Thanks So Much,

Oliver G

Tags (3)
5 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

How To Use vSphere Alarms To Monitor VMware Environments

https://www.altaro.com/vmware/vsphere-alarms/

See also page 142 of the attachment.

----------------------------------------------------

If you prefer in PowerCli, LucD  can help you with more precise indications than mine.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So by “non-VCSA ESXI host” you actually mean a standalone host that is not being managed by vCenter Server.

Alarms are a vCenter Server function, plus the best built-in way of monitoring the state of a VM is HA - which also requires vCenter Server to setup and manage,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
oliver_g
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

PowerCLI is user friendly - but to use it I have to log on to a Windows VM - windows not so reliable for a "cron" job, etc.

You can just use the task scheduler on windows, and you can also install powercli on linux, and do a cron there. I really suggest not doing a cron directly on the appliance or the esxi hosts.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What conditions would you mean by “when the VM goes down” anyway? The actual VM, the guest OS, whatever app/service you’re running through the guest OS, or something else?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos