Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Create 2 Networks with a single ESXi host

Hi Guys,

1 x ESXi host Vmware 6.0

1 x NIC with 2 ports

2 separate Networks (network A and network B) with 2 separate physical switches

Basically I have 2 separate networks (with 2 separate physical switches) and I need to

the separate the VM's (4 VM's)on my ESXi host. 2 VM's (named A) wants to be on Network A

and the 2 Vm's (named B) to be on Network B.

How can I configure my ESXi host with 1 NIC but 2 ports to be able to get this done?

Will this be possible seeing that I only have 1 NIC or will I need a separate NIC to

connect to the other network.

Can I use 1 port for Network A and the other port for Network B?

Kind Regards

GMSS

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Yes you can as long as ESXi "sees" the two ports on the network adapter as seperate network adapters. This will allow you to create multiple vSwitches and connect each network adapter (port) to a different one.

Post a screenshot of the ESXi host Physical adapters page (ESXi host > Configure > Networking > Physical Adapters from the WebClient) or the model number of the network adapter you have - this would make it easier to confirm for certain.

Kind regards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In case you need to connect the host to two separate switches, then you'll need two physical NICs.

A single NIC would only be sufficient if you'd connect to a single switch with a tagged port (i.e. separating taffic with VLANs).

André

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I think it is possible here as there is a NIC with two ports (dual port card) which can be connected to two independent switches via two independent cable .

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Yes you can as long as ESXi "sees" the two ports on the network adapter as seperate network adapters. This will allow you to create multiple vSwitches and connect each network adapter (port) to a different one.

Post a screenshot of the ESXi host Physical adapters page (ESXi host > Configure > Networking > Physical Adapters from the WebClient) or the model number of the network adapter you have - this would make it easier to confirm for certain.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
GMSS_LLP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

Firstly I'd like to apologise for not responding sooner as an emergency I was assigned to another project.

I'd also like to thank you for your response and contribution to this query. Back to the question.

Unfortunately the ESXi host can only see one port on the network adapter. I've ordered another network card

and as soon as it arrives I'll get it installed and post bast the results.

Many thanks once again guys.

Kind Regards

GMSS_LLP

0 Kudos
GMSS_LLP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the delay with this as I've just only managed to get a separate network card (NIC) installed.

I've now managed to create 2 networks (with 2 switches) with a single ESXi host.

Here is what I've done:

1. In the vSphere Client, highlight your ESXi host and click on the Configuration tab --> Followed by Networking
  2. Now click on Add Networking --> Select Virtual Machine
  3. Select the new NIC --> followed by Next

pastedImage_4.png

4. Label your new Network to something memorable as this will help you identify it when creating your VM's

pastedImage_10.png

5. Click Next --> followed by Finish

pastedImage_13.png

6. You've now created Standard Switch: vSwitch1 and this is what you should see:

pastedImage_16.png

7. Now you need to create your VM's and assign the Network Adaptor the appropriate Network Label i.e. point 4

pastedImage_17.png

8. Login to each VM to test.

Hope this explains in and that the images will help someone looking for the same setup.

Kind Regards

GMSS_LLP