VMware Cloud Community
mfirth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Correct mpt2sas driver for ESXi 6.7?

Hi,

I have installed ESXi 6.7 on a system with an LSI MegaRAID 9211-4i card installed.

The driver that the installer has used is version:

Version 19.00.00.00.2vmw, Build: 8169922, Interface: 9.2 Built on: Apr  3 2018

While it looks like the recommended version on the VMware compatibility page (VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search )

Is a higher number but much older:

Version 20.00.00.00.1vmw, Build: 2253936, Interface: ?.? Built on: Oct 31 2014

(I don't have the "Interface" value, as I've created the equivalent line from the available download, rather than installing the driver)

Which is the better driver to use? Should I worry that the recommended 20.00.00.00.1vmw driver was built for ESXi 5.5, rather than any of the 6.x versions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Judging by the name of the file that is linked to in the HCL listing, they haven't actually updated the drivers since ESXi 5.5 came out. If you've not put any VMs on this host yet, I say pick either the version 19 or 20 and go for it. Personally, I tend to go for newer release dated drivers when I have a choice. But, that could be a bug fix update to an older driver.

I tend to try to get as much hardware (as possible) that has drivers that are 'in box' with the ESXi GA releases. Or I grab the customized ISO versions that are made available (usually not long after the GA is released) such as for HP or Cisco (required if you value your sanity).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Judging by the name of the file that is linked to in the HCL listing, they haven't actually updated the drivers since ESXi 5.5 came out. If you've not put any VMs on this host yet, I say pick either the version 19 or 20 and go for it. Personally, I tend to go for newer release dated drivers when I have a choice. But, that could be a bug fix update to an older driver.

I tend to try to get as much hardware (as possible) that has drivers that are 'in box' with the ESXi GA releases. Or I grab the customized ISO versions that are made available (usually not long after the GA is released) such as for HP or Cisco (required if you value your sanity).

0 Kudos