VMware Cloud Community
AlexEv123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Correct VLAN configuration in ESXI Virtual machine

In my case gateway working with VlanId=4005 with strange MTU 1400

I set my Virtual switch with the same mode VlanId and MTU as need for my gateway

but I'm in trouble how I must configured my virtual machine to compatible with this request

my virtual machine is Ubuntu, ping always working, ssh to virtual machine is working, but connection from my virtual machine to any endpoint not establishing at all

as I understanding, ESXI virtual switch not adding VlanId, it looks as transparent device and VLAN_ID need to setting inside virtual machine - is it correct?

and what correct Ubuntu IP config (/etc/network/interfaces) to compatible with ESXI, with virtual switch and request of my gateway?

can anybody have example of workable config?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There are 3 ways you can use ESXi with VLANs: VMware Knowledge Base

The most common is VST.

If you have correctly set the Port Group on your vSwitch with the VLAN ID and the physical switch ports (and the network beyond) are configured correctly, the only thing you need to do to the VM is connect the virtual NIC to the Port Group and the only thing you need to do in the guest OS is set the correct IP configuration including a gateway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There are 3 ways you can use ESXi with VLANs: VMware Knowledge Base

The most common is VST.

If you have correctly set the Port Group on your vSwitch with the VLAN ID and the physical switch ports (and the network beyond) are configured correctly, the only thing you need to do to the VM is connect the virtual NIC to the Port Group and the only thing you need to do in the guest OS is set the correct IP configuration including a gateway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog