VMware Cloud Community
pamiller21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Copy/Paste through vCenter web console

I have edited in the adv config the following at the VM level:

isolation.tools.copy.disableFALSE
isolation.tools.paste.disableFALSE

But I still can't copy and paste text at all. Any tips?

15 Replies
ryanrpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Power off the VM

Right-click on the VM and select Edit Settings

Select the VM Options tab and expand Advanced. Click on Edit Configuration next to Configuration Parameters.

Using the Name and Value fields at the bottom of the Configuration Parameters dialog box, add the following. Click on Add after each entry.

Name: isolation.tools.copy.disable, Value: false

Name: isolation.tools.paste.disable, Value: false

Power on the VM. You should now be able to paste and copy content from the clipboard to the VM and vice-versa.

OR - If you want to change the settings globally on an ESXi Host.

SSH into the ESXi Host.

Run vi /etc/vmware/config and do the following:

Press the [Insert] key on your keyboard and, using the arrows, go to the last line and press [Enter].

Type in the following.

vmx.fullpath = "/bin/vmx"

isolation.tools.copy.disable="FALSE"

isolation.tools.paste.disable="FALSE"

Save the file

Press [ESC] followed by the [:] key. Type wq and press [Enter] to commit the changes to disk.

0 Kudos
pamiller21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have added those two lines to the configuration file, but I still can't copy/paste.

ryanrpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What are you trying to copy\paste.

You're only able to copy\paste TEXT. Also, try the VMRC if you're having issues with the webclient.

I wrote a script that I use to help copy\paste into VMs in our DR bubble as they're not on our Network. I hope something here helps you.

# Copy File to VM (Person running this should have access within the Guest)

$vm = Get-VM XXX

Get-Item C:\Temp\XXXXXX.txt | Copy-VMGuestFile -Destination C:\Temp -VM $vm -LocalToGuest -GuestUser Administrator -GuestPassword PASSWORDHERE

0 Kudos
pamiller21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was only using the web client and I opened a notepad typed something and cannot copy/paste it to my machine.

0 Kudos
Nobber
Contributor
Contributor

You need to add one more line for 6.7:

isolation.tools.SetGUIOptions.enable True

pamiller21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am running 6.5u2 so I added that line anyways, and still no success.

0 Kudos
achhayyagolakot
Contributor
Contributor

I have added the suggested lines. But no luck for me.

bbertlingcog
Contributor
Contributor

mine isn't working as either. (6.5 U2) it was working fine until the last set of updates i ran on my hosts. now i cant copy and paste anything between the two.  i have support, maybe i will contact them and get a solid answer.

0 Kudos
tkdunbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has anyone found out why this isn't working anymore?

kpnguyen
Contributor
Contributor

Added all thee parameters and it still don't work. On 6.5

isolation.tools.paste.disable FALSE

isolation.tools.copy.disable FALSE

isolation.tools.SetGUIOptions.enable TRUE

ArvinST
Contributor
Contributor

Test this on 6.7.0 and it works through the VMRC.

isolation.tools.paste.disable FALSE

isolation.tools.copy.disable FALSE

isolation.tools.SetGUIOptions.enable TRUE

0 Kudos
sara_hann
Contributor
Contributor

I too have added the three lines as advised, and it still doesn't work. Anyone resolve this yet?

0 Kudos
TanquenETG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did anyone get this to work?

It seems like it can't be done:

The HTML console is not meant for getting any real work done, it is more suited for checking if a VM has stalled, or is stuck in some reboot loop.

For functionality like copy and paste to work, you need to use either the VMware Remote Console (VMRC) or VMware Workstation Pro, which includes VMRC functionality.

https://serverfault.com/questions/1036698/how-do-i-copy-paste-to-a-vm-console-window-in-the-vmware-e...

I have VMware Workstation installed and can use the Launch Remote Console option in vSphere 7.0 and copy & paste works in that after adding the isolation options but it opens the VMs in a new Workstation app window and if you just close it then it deletes all the saved VM tabs you may have had. IF YOU REMEMBER, you can open the Workstation app again and see all your old tabs and then you must close it after closing the one launched by vSphere. 😞

0 Kudos
casaub
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

installing/updating VMware tools fixed it for us

0 Kudos
blondie63
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried to add the 3 keys on adv config on my esxi 8 but copy & past still not working 😞

0 Kudos